Cataract Surgery in Glasgow
Are you preparing for Cataract Surgery?
A cataract is an eye disease in which the normally clear lens of the eye becomes cloudy or opaque, causing a decrease in vision. Cataracts are usually a very gradual process of normal aging but can occasionally develop rapidly. They commonly affect both eyes, but can be asymmetrical. Consult our eye surgeon for Cataract Surgery in Glasgow.
Cataracts are very common, especially among the elderly. Rarely, cataracts can present at birth or in early childhood as a result of hereditary enzyme defects, other genetic disease, or systemic congenital infections. Severe trauma to the eye, eye surgery, or intraocular inflammation can also cause cataracts to develop more rapidly.
Symptoms & Signs of Cataract
Signs and symptoms of cataracts include:
- Clouded, blurred or dim vision
- Increasing difficulty with vision at night
- Sensitivity to light and glare
- Need for brighter light for reading and other activities
- Seeing “halos” around lights
- Frequent changes in glasses or contact lens prescription
- Fading or yellowing of colors
- Double vision from one eye
Types of Cataract
- Cataracts affecting the center/ core of the lens (nuclear cataracts)
- Cataracts that affect the outer zone of the lens (cortical cataracts)
- Cataracts that affect the back of the lens (posterior sub capsular cataracts)
Factors that may increase your risk of cataracts
- Increasing age
- Excessive exposure to sunlight
- High blood pressure
- Previous eye injury or inflammation
- Previous eye surgery
- Prolonged use of corticosteroid medications
You cannot completely prevent cataracts but it is thought that the following might help-
- Ensure that your Diabetes is well-controlled. Follow your doctor’s advice on diet, exercise and medications to control your blood sugar levels.
- Choose a healthy diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Wear Sunglasses, Ultraviolet light from the sun may contribute to the development of cataracts.
- Go for your regular eye check-up with your optometrist
Dr Vikas Chadha – Consultant Ophthalmologist
Mr Vikas Chadha has been a Consultant in the West of Scotland since 2009 and is now a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at the Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology at Gartnavel General Hospital. He is an experienced cataract surgeon having performed many thousands of cataract surgeries. He rigorously audits his results and has found his success rate well above the UK national standards with an overall complication rate of less than 1 percent. He also specialises in Eyelid Surgery, Lacrimal Surgery, Orbital Surgery and Ocular Oncology.